It is more likely than not that at one point in our lives we will need to submit a claim on our auto insurance. Don’t worry, the process is not as daunting as it sounds. In fact is fairly simple once you know how to do it. If you follow this guide you will be more than prepared should the time come to make a claim on your car insurance.
Before you get in touch with your customer services agent you will need to gather a few pieces of information which will help the processing of your claim. Of course, you can also do what many people do at the scene of an accident. You can contact your insurance provider and inform them that you have been involved in a car accident and that further details will be coming at a later time. This will help fast track the claims process. Here is the information that you will eventually need to provide:
- The date and time of when the loss occurred, whether it is an accident or another time of claim that is being made.
- Where the accident occurred i.e. the part of the state here it happened.
- Vital details of all the cars that were involved in the accident. This includes the year, make and model.
- Contact Details and the names of any drivers or passengers that were involved in the accident.
- Contact details for any witnesses that were in the accident vicinity at the time.
- Description of all injuries that occurred, this can be obtained from doctors reports should you need to go to the hospital.
- An accurate description of the vehicle damage. Do not try to claim for more than the accident caused as you will be caught out at some point.
- An accurate description of how the accident took place.
- You should always have a police officer present after an accident has taken place and make sure you get hold of the police report number.
You then need to contact your insurance provider. Many large companies will operate 24 hour call centers, however you may have your own insurance agent whom you made your purchase through. It is worth getting in touch with them to report your claim, this will give you an incredible amount of personal service as well as a single person to report to if you wish to find out more information about how your claim is progressing.
Getting in touch with your agent rather than the insurance company can also have other benefits. The first is that the agent generally won’t report that you have discussed your claim to the insurance company, many companies out there will record your discussions whether something is made of it or not. This will be reflected by your premiums at the next insurance renewal. Your insurance agent will also advise you as to whether it is worth making a claim or not.
Don’t be worried about filing a claim, the people you speak to are all trained to help deal with this every day and therefore will be able to offer you much needed guidance on how best to proceed.